We’re very happy to release AIRKinect 2.0 today! We’ve actually done a complete rewrite of the extension, both the native code and the actionscript API, to make it faster, more stable & easier to use in your projects.
With our experience on developing AIRKinect 1, and the feedback we got from the community, we went to
work on AIRKinect 2.0. The API is completely different from AIRKinect 1.x, but we hope it will be a lot easier to implement.
There are also a few new features which made it into this update:
- extended point cloud options: setting density, defining point cloud regions
- changing mirroring of camera images & skeleton data while the device is running
- User center-of-mass information
- Basic user management in the ane (before you needed the extended libs to do this)
- shortcut getters to get easy access to some general joints (head, leftHand, rightHand, …)
- compatibility with OSX Snow Leopard (10.6)
- infrared camera support (OSX)
- joint orientation information (OSX)
- multiple kinect support (Windows)
We looked at other builtin API’s (Camera, Accelerometer, …), and try to mimic their way of usage. This way, working with the AIRKinect API should feel very familiar for Actionscript developers.
First of all, you can check if there’s a Kinect device available on your system:
Within that if statement, you can get a reference to a Kinect camera, apply some settings and event listeners and start the device. For example, if you want to access the depth camera stream, you would use:
kinect = Kinect.getDevice();
var settings:KinectSettings = new KinectSettings();
settings.depthEnabled = true;
We won’t go through the entire api here, as this would take us too far. We’ve created new examples, where you can see the new API’s in work.
We’ve also created a short screencast, showing you how you can setup your project (Flash Builder 4.6) to use airkinect 2 & how you can use some of the basic api’s (camera access & skeleton tracking):
Let’s wrap up this post:
- You can find the core library (with the ane) and the documentation at http://as3nui.github.com/airkinect-2-core/
- The examples are at https://github.com/AS3NUI/airkinect-2-examples
- You can report bugs in the ane on https://github.com/AS3NUI/airkinect-2-core/issues
- You can report bugs in the examples on https://github.com/AS3NUI/airkinect-2-examples/issues